Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (Tangled: The Series in the first season) is an American hand-drawn animated musical fantasy television series that premiered on Disney Channel on March 10, 2017 as a movie, and began airing regular episodes from March 24, 2017. It is based on Disney's 2010 computer-animated film Tangled, directed by Nathan Greno and Byron Howard. It takes place between the original movie and the short Tangled Ever After. A teaser trailer was released during the Disney Channel Original Movie, The Swap. It began as a DCOM, titled Tangled: Before Ever After, which premiered on March 10, 2017.
Six months after escaping Mother Gothel and reuniting with her birth parents, King Frederic and Queen Arianna of Corona, Princess Rapunzel is unable to properly adjust due to her father's constant protection. When she and her handmaiden Cassandra sneak out of the castle, they come upon some magical black rock spikes that magically restores Rapunzel's long blonde hair and Rapunzel, Cassandra and young alchemist Varian uncover the mystery of her hair's return and its connection to the black rocks growing around Corona. Eventually, Rapunzel learns that Sundrop Flower's power resides in her with the black rocks directing her to the Dark Kingdom.
The second season centers around Rapunzel's group traveling to the Dark Kingdom while accompanied by Lance, Hook Foot, and Shorty and joined by the mysterious sword-wielding Adira of the Dark Kingdom. The group soon learn that the rocks are created by the Sundrop's counterpart: The Moonstone Opal. During the journey, Rapunzel learns the origins of the Sundrop and Moonstone as two halves of an ancient power seeking to be rejoined while sought by a demon called Zhan Tiri, whose evil is mentioned in Corona's legends. Zhan Tiri returns to the physical world as a spirit and manipulates Cassandra into taking the Moonstone and turn on Rapunzel, setting up the third season as Rapunzel copes with Cassandra's betrayal while forced to become acting queen of Corona.
- Mandy Moore as Princess Rapunzel
- Zachary Levi as Flynn Rider
- Julie Bowen as Queen Arianna
- Clancy Brown as King Frederic
- Eden Espinosa as Cassandra
- Hamuel (Seasons 2-3)
- Jeff Ross as Hook Foot
- Richard Kind as Monty
- Jeffrey Tambor as Big Nose
- Paul F. Tompkins as Shorty
- M. C. Gainey as Captain of the Guards
- Sean Hayes as Pete
- Peter MacNicol as Nigel
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Xavier the Blacksmith
- Diedrich Bader as Stan the guard
- Charles Halford as the pub thug Vladimir
- Vivian Vencer and Ruby Jay as Kiera and Catalina
- Steve Blum as the pub thug Attila
- James Monroe Iglehart as Lance Strongbow
- Jeremy Jordan as Varian
- Jonathan Banks as Quirin
- Jennifer Veal as Enchanted Girl
- Tara Fitzgerald as Zhan Tiri
- Donna Murphy as Gothel (nightmares, flashbacks, spirit form)
- It is the fourteenth television series to be based on a Disney animated feature, after The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Timon & Pumbaa, Jungle Cubs, 101 Dalmatians: The Series, Hercules, The Legend of Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch: The Series, The Emperor's New School, Jake and the Never Land Pirates, The 7D and The Lion Guard.
- This is also the third television series since 1994 to be based on a movie featuring a Disney Princess. The first two were The Little Mermaid and Aladdin.
- Rapunzel's hair magically grows back.
- This is the second series to be green lit by Disney for an entire series after Star Wars Rebels.
- Three TV "tentpole film" specials, starting with Tangled: Before Ever After were planned for November 2017, and February 2018. The crew later confirmed at D23 Expo 2017 that each season will have one for the mid-season and one for the season finale. The remaining tentpole films for Season 1 were "Queen for a Day" and "Secret of the Sun Drop", although they were produced as standard forty-four-minute specials instead of the fifty-five-minute format Before Ever After took.
- The show was originally scheduled to premiere in June 2017 but was moved up to March.
- Rapunzel's Journal was inspired by executive producer Chris Sonnenburg's daughter's journal. His daughter, Arianna, also gave Queen Arianna her name.
- Old Lady Crowley gets her name from line producer Joe Crowley.
- Zachary Levi, who plays Eugene, also lends his voice to Feldspar, the goofy cobbler.
- The style of the animated series is primarily based off of Rapunzel's own artistic style from the film.
- Starting with Season 2, the series was renamed to Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure.
- Ons of the animation styles in the Guardians of the Galaxy episode, "Black Vortex, Part One", is the same one used by Tangled: The Series.Though it's revealed that Mercury Filmworks has worked on Gamora's fairy tale sequence to resemble the style of Tangled: The Series.
- Main article: List of Tangled: The Series episodes
|Season||Episodes||Original airing (U.S. dates)|
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|Movie||March 10, 2017|
|1||21||March 24, 2017||January 15, 2018|
|2||21||June 24, 2018||April 14, 2019|
|3||20||October 7, 2019||March 1, 2020|