Varian: Cassandra, you're angry. I get it. Believe me, I know what it's like, but you are making a mistake.
The path of hate is a dangerous track:
You take one step and it's hard to turn back.
It pulls you along and though it seems wrong,
It feels right.
Don't you see, this path you're on
Leaves a permanent mark.
It feels good at first, then it slowly turns dark.
With each passing day you’re further astray from the light.
Suddenly you lose your way
And lose the thread,
Lose your cool, then lose your head.
Every loss is harder to excuse.
Then you'll see you'll lose your faith
And lose your soul,
Till you lose complete control
And realize there's nothing left to lose –
Nothing left to lose.
Cass, trust me, becoming the villain isn't the answer!
Cassandra: Is that what you think I am?
The path I am on is a path paved in black.
I'm taking that road and I'm not looking back.
Each twist and each turn
Leads straight where I'm yearning to go.
Yes, it's true; my path is dark,
But I see where it ends:
My rivals will fall as my power ascends.
Despise me; that's fine.
I'm taking what's mine, even so –
Not like you.
You lost your nerve;
You lost the game,
But you and I – we're not the same.
I'm not lost:
This fate was mine to choose –
So I chose to lose my doubts
And lose my chains –
Lose each weakness that remains,
Now that I have nothing left to lose –
Nothing left to lose,
Varian: You have so much to hold on to.
Cassandra: I only want my rightful due!
Varian: Listen, please! You’ve lost your grip and lost your mind.
Cassandra: Lose, I’m not gonna lose!
Varian: All's not lost – don’t be so blind!
Cut your losses; drop the I.O.U.'s!
Cassandra: I refuse! (x2)
Varian: Ooh, choose!
Cassandra: I lose no tears and lose no sleep!
What I want I'll take and keep!
Varian: It's time for you to choose!
Both: You can't stop the turning of the screws.
Cassandra: You'll stay in that cage until this is done – and just in case you think of escaping…
Now I have…nothing left…to lose.
- This is the third song to have "That's fine" as a lyric, the first two having been "Ready As I'll Ever Be" and "Crossing the Line."
- The way Varian and Cassandra see their reflections in the Black Rock sword and the way Cassandra sees Varian's reflection in the Black Rocks during this music video are similar to the way Rapunzel, Varian, Cassandra, and Pascal saw their reflections at the end of "Great Expotations."
- This is the only song that is sung by a former villain of the second half from season one and a current villain of season three.
- This is the second song that Varian is shown to be wearing his bag after Let Me Make You Proud.
- The way Cassandra won't free Varian when she tells him, "You'll stay in that cage until this is done – and just in case you think of escaping…" is similar to the way Varian told Queen Arianna, "Don't worry, Your Majesty. You are merely bait to lure the Princess here. Only the magic of her unbreakable hair can shatter the amber and free my father," in "Secret of the Sun Drop."
- Varian also said complete control when he, Rapunzel and Pascal are in front of the Demanitus Scroll in Cassandra's Revenge.
- This song is a reference of the same dark path that Varian walked on at the end of Queen for a Day to the first half of Rapunzel's Return.
- It is also possibly a reference to Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf? when Catalina revealed her angry feelings to Kiera, Rapunzel, Eugene, Pascal and Lance.