Kiera and Catalina Schnitz, better known as Angry and Red, are a pair of young thieves in Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure. After plundering the kingdom of Corona for days, the duo meet their match in the form of Eugene Fitzherbert and Lance Strongbow, who are tasked by King Frederic with reforming the two girls.
They are minor characters in the first and second seasons, but become recurring ones in the third and final season.
The real names of Angry and Red are unknown throughout Seasons One and Two, both having received their nicknames from Eugene and Lance, respectively: Angry because of her attitude, and Red because of her red hair. In Season Three their names are revealed to be Kiera and Catalina. They later obtain the surname Schnitz when Lance (Arnwaldo Schnitz) adopts them.
The two appear to have been orphaned, a misfortune that has forced them into a life of thievery for the sake of survival, though the immediate motivation behind their thieving ways appears to be their fear of the Baron, from whom they once stole. According to Angry, the girls have faced rejection and betrayal numerous times from adults, and therefore struggle with trusting others. Because of this, they figure they're better off alone, as thieves.
Angry appears to be the leader of the two, and does a majority of the talking. Her upbringing has left her razor-tongued and aggressive, a stark contrast to Red, who seems far more gentle and open to showing kindness (though it will later be revealed that she, too, has a temper which she is frustrated by constantly having to suppress). Despite their differences, both girls are cunning and intelligent for their age, being able to outsmart even the most ruthless and experienced of criminals and guardsmen alike.
- Big Brothers of Corona (debut appearances)
- Beyond the Corona Walls (flashback)
- Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?
- The Lost Treasure of Herz Der Soone
- The King and Queen of Hearts (cameos) (Catalina has no lines)
- Day of the Animals
- Be Very Afraid
- Cassandra's Revenge (also on mural)
- Once a Handmaiden... (no lines)
- Plus Est En Vous (final appearance)
In "Big Brothers of Corona," Corona has become victim of a crime spree. The royal guards struggle to find and capture the criminal responsible, having ex-thieves Eugene and Lance to step in and use their expertise to do so, themselves. After successfully apprehending the two criminals responsible, Eugene and Lance present them before King Frederic and the Captain of the Guard. Both are shocked to see that the criminals are two children, and contemplate how to punish them as they cannot imprison them. The king comes up with the idea to have Eugene and Lance take the two under their wings, and help them reform to become upstanding citizens. The girls are named Angry and Red shortly thereafter, and though Red quickly grows fond of Lance, Angry is resistant in trusting either, especially Eugene. Desperate, Eugene takes the girls to meet Rapunzel, believing she'll be able to change the two for the better, as he believes she did for him. Red quickly warms up to Rapunzel, even speaking for the first time. Though Angry silently rebukes Red's decision to let her guard down, she, too, slowly starts to enjoy the time spent with Rapunzel and her chameleon, Pascal. That night, Eugene and Angry have a serious talk about why being a thief is wrong. Angry starts to explain the situation between herself and Red that they don’t want to steal, they are just trying to run away from someone, but falls asleep before she can mention the Baron. After Eugene leaves, Angry wakes and gazes through the bedroom window into the cityscape. As she does so peacefully, she spots a familiar shadow creeping through the streets and returns inside fearfully.
The next morning, Princess Rapunzel's tiara appears to be missing while Angry and Red are nowhere to be found. Thanks to Cassandra, Eugene and Lance are able to track them down, only to find that they've been captured by the Baron's men, led by Weasel. Eugene and Lance offer themselves in exchange for the girls' freedom, which Weasel accepts. The two then return to their hideout, where Angry hastily prepares to leave Corona. Red, however, believes they should return, as Eugene and Lance are the only people to have ever looked out for them. Though hesitant, Angry agrees, and they two rush back to assault Weasel and his goons, freeing Eugene and Lance in the process. Eugene then offers the girls a chance to end their lives as thieves, though they genuinely don't appear to be interested in doing so just yet. Eugene nevertheless promises to be there for them when they're ready.
Back in Corona, Eugene and Lance are reprimanded by the Captain for allowing Angry and Red to leave free. Eugene also takes responsibly for their crimes, though the guards find that all the stolen riches, including Rapunzel's tiara, has been returned, much to the delight of King Frederic, who declares that Eugene has nothing to atone for. Also left behind was Red's flower, and after ensuring that the treasure was found by the guards, Angry and Red board a hay-wain leaving the kingdom, to continue their travels.
In "Vigor the Visionary" they stole Vigor so that they might find their family, and after an adventure they came across their "family," who turn out to be the Daylight Thieves. Eugene and Rapunzel arrived at the hideout later to find out that the Daylight Thieves had been tied up by Angry and Red. They were also mentioned by Rapunzel in Curses!
The two appear in "Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?", where they are both shown to have grown a considerable amount since last time. They also reveal that their names are Kiera (Angry) and Catalina (Red). Kiera wanted to move to Corona but Catalina didn't want to leave their treehouse home. As a compromise, their old treehouse was rebuilt as a bigger, cozier place with some of Rapunzel's old paintings as decorations. Red has also been stricken with the wolf curse and can transform into a werewolf at will.
They continue to make recurring appearances and take part in many of Corona's events as well as Rapunzel's numerous schemes, like in "The Lost Treasure of Herz Der Sonne", where they take part of the race to the treasure, "Day of the Animals", where they travel to return the treasures they had stolen as little girls, and "Cassandra's Revenge", where they joined Rapunzel, Eugene, Pascal, Maximus, and Lance to rescue Varian from Cassandra.
In "Plus Est En Vous", the girls fight alongside everyone of Corona and Adira, King Edmund and Hector against Zhan Tiri and during the epilogue, the girls are finally adopted by Lance when, according to Eugene, they discover that their new legal name is Schnitz.
- Angry's miniature satchel that she wore with her third season outfit is similar to Varian's utility belt that he wore with his third season outfit and it is also similar to Eugene's utility belt that he wore with his Captain of the Guard uniform and his main outfit of season one, two and three and Rapunzel's miniature purse that she wore with her island outfit from King Pascal to Happiness Is... Also, it similar to Vex's miniature satchel that she wore with her outfit from Beyond the Corona Walls, The Return of Quaid, Goodbye and Goodwill and her cameo at the end of Plus Est En Vous.
- They are mentioned in "Curses!" by Princess Rapunzel.
- "Kiera" is Irish Gaelic for "dark-haired one," in reference to her black hair.
- "Catalina's name is Spanish form of Catherine, which means "Pure", referring to her kind nature.
- It is revealed in "Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?" that Catalina doesn't really like to be called Red. She only went along with it because she thought everyone expects her to.
- Kiera and Catalina are two of the characters that say I promise. The other characters that say I promise are Rapunzel, Eugene, Cassandra, Varian, Lance, Sugracha the Eternal and Dwayne.
- Catalina is one of the two characters to be protected by Rapunzel from an enemy during the episode Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?. The other character to be protected by Rapunzel is Varian during the episode Cassandra's Revenge.
- Kiera is one of the characters to have black hair after Cassandra, Pocket, Varian, Hook Foot, Wreck Marauder, Razor Blade McDoom, Dale, Andrew, Nigel, Friedborg, Vex, Madame Canardist, Seraphina, Hector, Malice Marauder, Virtuous St. Goodberry and Juniper.
- They are two of the characters that have handcuffs on their hands in an episode. The other characters that have handcuffs on their hands in an episode of the series are Lady Caine, Skull Ruffian, Bandana, Pocket, Otter, Rapunzel, Cassandra, Eugene, Lance, Attila, Varian, Brock, Andrew, Clementine, Kai, Juniper, Maisie and the Stabbington Brothers.
- Kiera is one of the characters that rode a hot air balloon. The other characters that rode in a hot air balloon are Rapunzel, Pascal, Eugene, Cassandra, Andrew, Ulf, Shorty, Maximus, Lance, Fidella, Varian, Xavier, Stan, Captain of the Guard and Zhan Tiri disguised as Calliope.
- Catalina is the fourth character to put her hand on her arm in Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?" The other characters that do that are Varian in Queen for a Day and Rapunzel's Return and Rapunzel in Beyond the Corona Walls and at the end of Rapunzel's Return also Eugene in Not in the Mood and The Return of Strongbow.
- Red being able to transform into a wolf is a nod to the fairy tale "Little Red Riding Hood".
- Catalina is one of the characters that are standing when they put one of their legs on an object. The other characters that do that are Eugene, Adira, Varian and Cassandra.
- Kiera and Catalina are two of the characters that cross their arms. The other characters that do that are Eugene, Cassandra, Rapunzel, Varian, Shorty, Monty, Pascal, Captain of the Guard, Wreck Marauder, Dale, Xavier, Lance, Old Lady Crowley, Vex, Captain Quaid, Hook Hand, Hook Foot, King Trevor, Sideburns, Patchy, Andrew, Juniper, Kai, Feldspar, Brock Thunderstrike and Lady Caine.
- Catalina is the third of Rapunzel's allies to have revealed their angry feelings in Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?! after Cassandra in Rapunzel's Return and Varian in The Alchemist Returns and Secret of the Sun Drop.
- Red and Angry's facial markings are an homage to San, who is also a girl raised by wolves. This becomes even more prevalent when Red transforms into a werewolf.
- Kiera's black belt that she wore with her new outfit for the third season is similar to the black belt that Varian wore with his winter outfit in Queen for a Day.
- Catalina's purse that she wore with her outfit in Big Brothers of Corona and Vigor the Visionary is similar to Cassandra's purse that she wore her signature outfit when she isn't performing her handmaiden duties in season one, two and at the end of Plus Est En Vous. Also, it is similar to Captain Quaid's purse that he wore his outfit in The Return of Quaid, Goodbye and Goodwill and at the end of Plus Est En Vous.
- Kiera is the only one of the two who still goes by her nickname. Although, Rapunzel called Catalina by her nickname in "Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?", "The Lost Treasure of Herz Der Sonne" and "The King and Queen of Hearts".
- Beginning with the episode "Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?", they are both now credited as Kiera and Catalina in the end credits.
- Angry's ponytail is a reference to Dororo.
- "I'm not the monster."
- "Everyone always turned their back on us. Everybody. Everybody except them."
- "I'm...I'm sorry."
- "I swear this wolf..."
- "I don't want to! Maybe I like being the Wolf! Maybe I'm tired of everyone telling me what to do! And I'm sick of people assuming I'm okay, just because I won't say I'm not! And for the record, I don't even like the name Red! I only went along with it because everybody expected me to!"
- "Just once I wanted to be the one to call the shots! Being the Wolf lets me do that!"
- "I'm Nunya!
- "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so bossy. We can figure this out, together. But let's just finish this."
- "Catalina, stop! It's me, Kiera."
- "Please don't hurt her."
- "She may be a jerk, but you're not a monster."
- "I'm sorry I didn't listen better."
- "I promise I'll try harder, but please, let her go."
- "Please... I love you."
- "Probably practicing betrayal, thinking a lot about doing harm."
- "Reading about doing harm."
- "We do."
- "We're missing all the action."
- "It doesn't look like a rooster."
|— Characters —|
|Main characters||Rapunzel • Eugene Fitzherbert • Cassandra • Pascal • Maximus|
|Other characters||King Frederic • Queen Arianna • Varian • Quirin • Angry and Red • Lance Strongbow • Fidella • Nigel • Hook Foot • Ulf • Xavier • Weasel • Ruddiger • Monty • Mrs. Sugarby • Old Lady Crowley • Owl • Ruthless Ruth • The Stabbington Brothers • Friedborg • Feldspar • Four Sisters • Attila • Axel • Lady Caine • Willow • Captain of the Guards • Andrew • Uumlaut • Shorty • Pete and Stan • Fernanda Pizazzo • Separatists of Saporia • The Collector • The Baron • King Herz Der Sonne • King Trevor • King Edmund • General Shampanier|