The Captain of the Guards is a supporting character in Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure. He is Cassandra's adoptive father. His first name has not yet been revealed nor has his background.
- Before Ever After (debut appearance)
- Fitzherbert P.I.
- Challenge of the Brave (cameos)
- Cassandra v. Eugene
- The Return of Strongbow
- In Like Flynn
- Great Expotations
- One Angry Princess
- Big Brothers of Corona
- The Wrath of Ruthless Ruth
- Max's Enemy
- The Way of the Willow (cameos)
- Queen for a Day
- Not in the Mood
- The Quest for Varian
- The Alchemist Returns (cameo)
- Secret of the Sun Drop
- Happiness Is... (hallucination; no lines)
- Rapunzel and the Great Tree (illusion; cameos)
- Destinies Collide (flashbacks; cameos)
- Rapunzel's Return, Part 1 (flashback)
- No Time Like the Past (in ten-year past)
- Beginnings (flashbacks)
- Islands Apart
- Cassandra's Revenge (mural)
- Once a Handmaiden...
- Plus est en Vous (final appearance)
The captain plays a minor role in the sequel, taking place six months after the events of Tangled, and before Rapunzel and Eugene's wedding in Tangled: Before Ever After. He retains his position as captain of the guard, and is first seen chasing down Rapunzel and Flynn (now going by his true name, Eugene) as they pursue the kingdom's border wall to allow Rapunzel a chance to look out into the land surrounding Corona. The captain fails to stop them, once again, but simply accepts defeat and calls Rapunzel back once preparations for her coronation are set to begin. Later on, the captain is seen ensuring King Frederic that Corona's security has been amped, per request, although this does not stop the pirate Lady Caine and her band of thieves from crashing Rapunzel's coronation. The thieves barricade the hall's door, locking the guards out, though they manage to break through in time to arrest the villains, who were already defeated by Rapunzel, Eugene and Cassandra.
The captain plays a supporting role in the animated series, which expands his character. Due to being considerably more pessimistic, jaded and down-to-earth than the other characters, the captain is often looked down upon as an antagonistic figure of sorts. Most significantly, however, his relationship with Cassandra is touched upon; the episode "Great Expotations" revealed that the captain has reservations about granting Cassandra a portion on the guard, despite believing her to be more than qualified for the job. She manages to prove her worth after assisting the young alchemist, Varian, in saving the castle, though she would continue to make efforts to highlight her capabilities. In Under Raps, Cassandra lured a separatist into Corona to uncover the reasoning behind his fascination with an ancient journal that belonged to one of Corona's previous kings. As revealed to Rapunzel, part of her reason for doing so was to prove herself to her father.
In Secret of the Sun Drop, King Frederic learns that Cassandra was responsible for getting Rapunzel across Corona's wall. As punishment, she is scheduled to be sent to a convent. The captain shows no anger toward Cassandra's actions—only deep remorse for not being able to speak against the king's decision. His inability to do so disappoints Cassandra, creating a brief rift between the two. Later on, the castle falls under attack by a young alchemist and his monster. During the battle, the captain is injured. Cassandra rushes to her father's side and expresses that she has never been disappointed in him, apologizing for her words from earlier and mending their rift. Due to his injuries, however, the captain is unable to lead an ordered assault against Varian. He instead finally embraces Cassandra's capabilities and appoints her as his replacement.
The rivalry between Eugene and the captain remains, despite Eugene being a much-beloved resident of the castle's household. Examples of this are seen in "Fitzherbert P.I.", where Eugene pursues a position in the royal guard, prompting the captain to sabotage Eugene's chances of earning the job and Big Brothers of Corona, where the captain was against the idea of hiring Eugene's former partner, Lance Strongbow, as a much-needed guard instructor. Despite his firm stance on situations, the captain has shown that his mind can be changed, and he will begrudgingly own up to his wrong doings, if any.
In a prologue in Rapunzel's Return, on the night Rapunzel was kidnapped as a baby, the Captain and several Guards were in pursuit of Mother Gothel. The Captain located Gothel's cottage and young daughter Cassandra, but Gothel managed to escape with the princess, abandoning Cassandra. Following Gothel's escape, the Captain assured Cassandra she was safe with him and took her back to the Castle and adopted her, raising Cassandra as his own child. In the present day, King Frederic and Queen Arianna fell under the control of Varian, Andrew and the Separatists of Saporia, allowing them to take command of Corona. In order to save the kingdom, the Captain conducted search parties to find and bring back Rapunzel since she is the only remaining person with the power and authority within the royal family. He is still currently away searching, unaware that Rapunzel and her friends recently returned to Corona after learning the news.
In Islands Apart, he is revealed to have wished for a four-year-old Cassandra, due to the real one bearing resentment against him for not telling her about her mother Gothel, staying by his decision even after finding out about his wish's repercussions. However, Rapunzel and Eugene convince him to not give up hope on Cassandra, and he makes it his mission to reform his daughter and get her back.
In Flynnpostor, the Captain has a nightmare about battling Cassandra. Although he managed to destroy the Moonstone, he hesitated to harm his daughter, causing him to wake up in shock. The next day, the Captain appeared before King Frederic and Queen Arianna, admitting to them the dream caused him to realize he could not battle or face off against his daughter and with a heavy heart, decided to retire. Although surprised by his decision, they understood and respected his choice and the Captain revealed the person he chose for his replacement would be Eugene Fitzherbert.
Click here to view the gallery for this article.
- His first name is unknown.
- In his absence, he has put Stan as acting captain until his return home to Corona, whom Kiera (formerly known as "Angry") calls "Captain Stash" due to his mustache.
- Princess Rapunzel and Eugene finally reunite with him when they return to the island they had stayed on for a few days, and there he learns the hard truth about his adopted daughter and the dark path she has taken.
- During the long months he was on Terapi Island, his mustache grew followed by a short beard.
Twenty Years Ago
- "The Princess!!"
- "She went this way!!"
- "Where is she!!? Where is the Princess!!?"
- "No one will harm you, Little One. You're safe with me."
- "Don't you dare finish that sentence!!"
- "They're children."
- "Princess, we had orders to recover the Scroll, to keep it from you."
- "Your father."
- "You know, this plan to send you off doesn't give me any pleasure. Perhaps when this threat has been quelled, I'll come and see you as soon as I can."
- "Cassandra, listen. About earlier...I"
- "Actually, I don't think I am. I'll only slow you down."
- "I'm not. She is."
- "Cassandra, stand down!!"
- "You know I can't do that."
- "Cassandra...I can't fight you."
- "Princes, Fitzherbert!!"
- "I did. Later word reached that you returned and that Cassandra had made...other arrangements."
- "Rapunzel, when I said I stopped looking for Cassandra...I lied. I searched tirelessly in search of my daughter and then...I found her."
- "She was filled with a rage I had never seen. That person wasn't Cassandra. So you see, this is the only way I can make amends for my mistakes."
- "I don't wanna hear it, Rapunzel!"
- "I know I can do right by her this time!!"
- "This is my only chance!!"
- "Let's go get my daughter back."
- "Sorry for all the trouble."
- "King Frederic, Queen Arianna, as the Captain of the Corona Royal Guard, I have sworn to defend this kingdom from against all who threaten it . But as a father, I cannot fight my own daughter. It is with a heavy heart that I resign from my post."
|— Characters —|
|Main characters||Rapunzel • Eugene Fitzherbert • Cassandra • Pascal • Maximus|
|Other characters||King Frederic • Queen Arianna • Varian • Quirin • Angry and Red • Lance Strongbow • Fidella • Nigel • Hook Foot • Ulf • Xavier • Weasel • Ruddiger • Monty • Mrs. Sugarby • Old Lady Crowley • Owl • Ruthless Ruth • The Stabbington Brothers • Friedborg • Feldspar • Four Sisters • Attila • Axel • Lady Caine • Willow • Captain of the Guards • Andrew • Uumlaut • Shorty • Pete and Stan • Fernanda Pizazzo • Separatists of Saporia • The Collector • The Baron • King Herz Der Sonne • King Trevor • King Edmund • General Shampanier|